India is agriculture country. But its totally dependent on various things. That’s why this business is called as uncertain business. Keeping this thing in mind agri allied business can surely boost the moral of farmer as it can be another and sure source of income. ‘Silkworm Rearing’ is one of the most important aspect in Sericulture.
- Sericulture is best allied business which can give foreign currency.
- In India states like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu are the kingdom of traditional silk industry.
- In Maharashtra also sericulture is becoming popular.
- Approximately in 20-22 districts this business is been running by state government.
- This business has tremendous potential for employment.
- Beed is best district sericulture as its geographical conditions and weather conditions are suitable for this business.
- This business can boost the moral of farmer as it will help farmer.
Silkworm rearing is most important aspect in sericulture.
- Silk worm life cycle completes in three stages egg, larva, pupa & moth. This cycle gets complete in 48 to 52 days.
- Egg stage is of 10-12 days, larva stage is of 25-26 days, pupa stage takes 10 to 12 days and moth stage is smallest which takes only 3-4 days.
- In larva stage Mulberry leafs are main feed for larva.
- Once larva gets older they feed with stems of Mulberry plants.
- After eating Mulberry leafs pupa creates silk cocoon around itself.
- Various practices are required for rearing. Creating rearing house is one of them.
- It is advisable to conduct effective cleaning of rearing house regularly.
- After one season disinfection of rearing house should be done.
- Rearing house (Shed) with length of 50 foot & 20 foot wide is required for one acre land with Mulberry plants.
- Mulberry silkworm rearing, being completely domesticated, demands specified environmental conditions like temperature (24-28 C) and relative humidity (70-85%).
- About 700-900 Kg cocoon can be harvested from one acre of mulberry garden in a year.